Wednesday, September 1, 2010

My First Grave House

I found my first grave house and I am rather excited about it.  I have seen several online and in books but I have never seen one in person.  I have seen a few that could fall in the categorization of a grave house but they were more like modified ledger stones.
Here is what I mean when I say "modified ledger stone".
(Located at Mt.Calvary Cemetery in Monett, MO.)
This was a marathon gravin adventure that took us to 17 cemeteries and 2 states all in this one day. As we were nearing the end of the loop that took us from Rogers, AR to Lincoln, AR then pver to Stilwell, OK and back. We ventured down this rough little dirt road to find Blackwood Cemetery in Stilwell.  The cemetery itself is rather small and ordinary except for this one little grave house.  As soon as I seen it I definately had to go check it out.  Honestly, if it hadn't been for this one grave site I doubt we would have even stopped.  Most of the grave markers were the newer stuff and Theresa and I both perfer the older headstones, not mass produced modern stuff. For the most part I feel the newer stuff just seems to lack ... individuality.

The back view
(Located at Blackwood Cemetery in Stilwell, OK.)
The front view
I was quite surprised to see it was on a grave from 2002.  All the one I have read about are all much older.
Crittenden
Keith Wayne
Sept 18, 1983
Oct 12, 2002
Aged 19 and days

In Loving Memory of
Family and Friends

Here are some other examples of grave houses I found online.

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful. Never, ever seen one, even in a photo. I don't think we have them in the UK. Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post sent me straight to Google, looking for a grave house in my neck of the woods. No luck yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is my cousin's grave. The house is there so the ones that are watching out for his grave are protected. Some people put food at the front as an offering. It is Native American tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hbird3, Thank you for sharing the info. It is a beautiful tribute to both, your cousin and the ones watching over him. I love to hear from the family of the ones that I photograph.

    ReplyDelete