Friday, September 17, 2010

Famous File: George Lowrey Jr

Located at Tahlequah Cemetery in Tahlequah, OK.

George Lowrey Jr was a Native American Cherokee Chief. His birth name was Agin'-agi'li which translates to Rising Fawn, his father came to America from Scotland and his mother was the daughter and granddaughter of Echota Cherokee chiefs. He was well known and respected in the Cherokee tribe as a courier, banker, soldier, translator, law enforcement officer, planter, breeder, and political leader. In 1792, he met with President George Washington as delegate for the Cherokee Nation to help form protections for the Cherokee Territory from settler over population. His efforts resulted in the signing of The Treaty of 1819 for which he received a medal from President Washington. In 1828, he was elected Assistant Principal Chief and he was Principal Chief and President for the council of the Eastern Cherokees at the Washington meeting in 1839, this meeting was to fuse the eastern and western divisions into the present Cherokee Nation.

George Lowrey
Born
at Tahskegee
on Tennessee River
about 1770
Died October 20
1852
Aged 82 Years

Notices the gifts left for him. I am sure there is some significane to the offerings but I am unaware of what they are.  (Please fell free to fill me in if you know what the meaning is.)  The gifts were a sweet potato, might be a yam, a bunch of beats and flowers.

Visited
President Washington
as Delegate from the
Cherokee Nation in 1791 and '92
Captain of the Lighthors 1810
Member of first
National Committee 1814
One of the Delegation who
negotiated the Treaty
of 1819
Member of the Convention
who formed
the Constitution in  1827
And also that of  1839.
Elected
Assistant Principal Chief
1825 and offeten afterwards.
At his Death a Member of the
Executive Council.
Filled various
other public Offices.

Many Years
A Member of the
Church of Christ
Ruling Elder
of the Church at
Willstown.
Deacon
of the Church at
Park Hill.
He fulfilled the duties
of every Office well.
An Honest Man,
A Spotless Patriot,
A Devoted Christian.

Erected
by order of the
National Council

9 comments:

  1. Sweet potatoes or yams are held as sacred foods by many indigenous peoples.
    I found a white cabbage with a message in Japanese, left at the tomb of Serge Gainsbourg in Paris and always wondered what that meant?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting these photos of the memorial and the corresponding transcriptions, Tammi! I have seen pictures of the front side and a close-up of the front inscription which I could read; but I never even knew that the sides were inscribed. This is a VERY useful post - Thank you! Jere Becker

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting pics of my very great grandpa. May he RIP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dawn can you contact me please at winsby@nsuok.edu George was my great great great grandfather

      Delete
    2. Dawn searching for my Cherokee roots has been a real puzzle. This is another chance. My gr gr grandmother was Melvina Lowrey born about 1830 in Tn. She married Harvey Howell and finished her life in s.e Ill. around Cave in Rock. Is there a connection possibly?

      Thank you Penny

      Delete
    3. George Lowrey is my Gr Gr Gr Grandfather very proud to see this.. Thank You!

      Delete
    4. I'm sorry folks. I didn't realize people were speaking to me here. I wasn't notified.

      I've got a new forum here: http://cherokee-community.forumotion.com if anybody wants to join it & discuss our grandpa or Cherokees in general. :)

      Delete
  4. George is my gr gr gr grandfather. George Lowrey Jr, Charles (which is the only one of his children who changed the spelling to Lowery), Return Johnson Lowery, Jack Frost Lowery and my papa (still alive) Bill Lowery.
    I have seen the pic of him in the Five Civilized Museum in Muscogee (where I live) and still have a lot of family living around Tahlequah, Muscogee, and Briartown. The Starr/Lowery cemetery is in Briartown and I love it there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My grandmother was Bill’s Sister, Amy Romine. I remember Bill and Marge from many trips to Muskogee when I was young. My dad Don passed away a few years ago and I would love to stay in
      touch with family.

      Delete