Wednesday, January 5, 2011

A Solo Stone - David F. English

While gravin in Crawford and Washington County Arkansas I spotted this solo marker out of shear luck.  It sits among the underbrush on the side of the road.  My friend sat in the car snickering at me as I made my way up a steep embankment just to photograph the marker.  Once I got to the top I realized there was no way I was gonna make it back down the way I went up. So I had to make my way back down through the woods coming out on a flatter area so I could get back to the road and the car.  Luckily my friend likes me because she could have driven off and I would have been stuck out there in banjo country. But I feel much better knowing I am probably the only person who thought to photograph this marker.  Hopefully it will help someone find the relative they were looking for.

I named this cemetery English Cemetery because I can not find any record of this gentleman anywhere. It is located in Strickler, AR.
This is the zoomed in view from the road.

David F
English
Born
Aug 1, 1865
Died
Dec 25, 1927

Here is the info my friend Theresa found for him.
He was born in Sandy Creek, Venango, PA.

His parents were John H. and Elizabeth (Graham) English. John's parents were James and Mary (Gallagher) English. Elizabeth's parents were Daniel and Lydia (Iddings) Graham.

He married Mollie Smith on Dec 9, 1890.

They had 2 children May (b. 1895) and Grace (b. 1898).


1 comment: