Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Mount Holly Cemetery - Hornibrook Monument

We recently made a trip to Little Rock, AR for the Annual Arkansas Gravestones Project picnic. Of course  we had to visit at least one cemetery while we was there. The cemetery we picked was Mount Holly Cemetery.  This is definitely a must see if you are in the area and like older cemeteries.  Mount Holly is a compact cemetery that sits on four square blocks which has roughly 5,000 buried in 1,300 plots. It was established in 1843 and to date is pretty much filled to capacity.  If you love statuary then you will love this place. 

I was like a kid in a candy store.  Just inside the gate the wonderful monuments start showing themselves and you don't have to look very far to find the next beauty. 

The Hornibrook monument is just inside the gate on the left side.
Sacred
To The Memory of
James H. Hornibrook
Born at
Toronto, Canada
July 8, 1840
Died
May 24, 1890

Margaret R. McCulley
Wife of
James H. Hornibrook
Born
March 28, 1844
Died
July 3, 1893

Matthew Hornibrook
Born
Memphis, Tenn
Aug 21, 1867
Died
Nov 25, 1934
St. Louis, MO

Any clue what the star on her head means?

 I will be sharing my photos from Mount Holly over a number of post so keep checking back to see all the wonderful monuments I found. 

4 comments:

  1. I visited Mt. Holly early last year (my parents live in the LR area)- great headstones. But, I only had a disposable camera and my photos look sooo bad :( Loved the 2 little girls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep watching I got a ton more from Mt. Holly to share.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen the star on the head before. Can't remember where I may have read something on it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Found out that the Hornibrooks are my wife's triple-great-grandparents. Thanks for the photos!

    ReplyDelete