Sunday, April 18, 2010

The Fenced Areas

In my constant exploration of cemeteries I have found a number of beautifully fenced plots.  They are fascinating to me.  The fence work ranges from simple to the very elaborate. 

(Located in Love Cemetery in Dean Springs, AR)

(located in True Love Cemetery in Wayne, MO)


(Located in Jane Cemetery in Jane, MO)


(Located in Jane Cemetery in Jane, MO)


So I sat down in front of the computer to see what I could find out about the history of these beautiful wrought iron and cast iron works.  I didn't find much on the history but I did find a power point history called "Fence Me In" from the Texas Historical Commision. Which has some neat old ads for fencing that people could purchase ready made. And I also discovered this great site on Cemetery Ironworks.  Now that I have read the article on the Cemetery Ironworks site I will be looking to see if I can find company names on the fences. 

I would love to see photos of the plot fences you have found.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this post and the links- very interesting! The fences have a beautiful, but menacing quality to them. They remind me of the partitioned pews in old Boston churches.

    ReplyDelete